Pages

May 27, 2010

Yet Another Leadership Lesson

Kouzes and Posner (2007) mentioned, “Leaders foster collaboration and build trust.” (p. 21-22). In my current leadership position, I’ve realized the value of collaboration and the fact that trusting your team can be overpowering for all parties involved. For me, as the leader, it gives me the peace of mind that my team can handle the job without me having to be involved in every step of the way, thus providing me with more time to work in strategy.
According to Kouzes Posner (2007), "values such as quality, service, respect, freedom, creativity, and responsiveness don't exist in nature but rather have to be defined in concrete terms." Even though the authors made this statement in a leadership context, isn’t these words what we, as humans, also seek to possess in our personal lives? Our two main institutions for self-development an early age: the family and school, teach us values that we carry all throughout our personal lives. As the authors explained, we cannot say we have these values, but we must act them in order to be believed by people who surround us. Kouzes and Posner (2007) stated, “Exemplary leaders are able to envision the future, to gaze across the horizon of time and imagine the greater opportunities to come” (pg. 105).

No comments: