Apr 23, 2010
10 Best Twitter Uses for Local Small Businesses
1. Customer Service – With tools like Tweetdeck.com, you can monitor who’s mentioning your product/business/service and respond by direct message or public reply.
2. Multimedia – Send video links from YouTube.com and pictures taken from your mobile phone via Tweetpic.com, which followers can then re-tweet to their friends.
3. Showcase Expertise – By actively participating in discussions with colleagues and prospects, you can enhance your credibility and knowledge.
4. TweetUps - Invite locals for a gathering at your store or office for a special event, sampling, tasting or informational session.
5. Talent / Supplier Recruitment – With all Twitter profiles including links and bio, you can “network” with little effort, which allows you to start a personal dialogue to uncover potential collaboration.
6. Sales and Discounts – Just as you may include special coupons in your local newspaper or send mass e-mail promos, you can send Twitter-only actionable promo codes where they can redeem in person or in your website.
7. TweetChats – Anyone can “own” a tweetchat on a particular topic in a specific time and day – thus further enhancing your branding, followers and expertise. Go to www.tweetchat.com and browse already-organized tweetchats.
8. Local Interest Topics – With Twitter’s new interactive “trending topics” tool you can stay up to date as what’s most being “tweeted” in your city.
9. Large Scale Focus Group – By “following” the locals you’ve found in your advance search AND by “following” your “followers,” you can get important insights as to preferences and demographics.
10. Attract Traffic to Your Website – Twitter allows for mass sharing of links, which allows you to drive people to your website, blog or a news story your followers may find of interest.
Anllelic Lozada is founder of SmallBIZLatino, an agency focused on bilingual marketing & web training for small businesses and professionals. Follow her on www.twitter.com/smallbizlatino.